[ntp:questions] NTP and Windows Vista

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 07:50:27 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>> On 2008-05-31, David J Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> Bug 1030 Submitted. It may need some editing, as the OS (Vista)
>>> isn't yet in the drop-down list.
>>
>> Windows Vista is now available in the OS list.
>>

> I'm not really sure that we need separate names for Windows. We don't
> differentiate between different versions of Linux or FreeBSD ans Vista
> is just another version like XP and 2000. It really falls into the
> version information.
>
> Danny

Danny,

There is certainly need to be able to record the version of the operating
system which is use, whether that be in a drop-down list or elsewhere I
don't mind.  Windows 3.X and the NT/2000/XP/Vista set, for example, are
quite different.  As many of the security settings have changed on Windows
Vista, and these could affect how NTP works, I personally feel that it is
appropriate to have Windows Vista set out separately from other versions.

I don't see a field for OS sub-version on the bug report form right now.
It could be helpful if there were another field for OS sub-version which
would allow the user to enter "Home", "Business" etc. (for Vista) should
they wish, although in this particular case the sub-version seems unlikely
to affect how NTP works.

Doesn't Linux need something similar for version numbers, in view of how
kernel changes may interact with NTP?

Cheers,
David