[ntp:questions] NTP and Windows Vista

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 12:33:03 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Danny,
>>
>> There is certainly need to be able to record the version of the
>> operating system which is use, whether that be in a drop-down list
>> or elsewhere I don't mind.  Windows 3.X and the NT/2000/XP/Vista
>> set, for example, are quite different.
>
> Window 3.x, 95, 98, etc. haven't been supported by NTP for quite a few
> years so any bug report about them would be invalid anyway. The
> others, based on NT are what we support but are merely different
> versions of the Windows NT operating system.
>
>> As many of the security settings have changed on Windows
>> Vista, and these could affect how NTP works, I personally feel that
>> it is appropriate to have Windows Vista set out separately from
>> other versions.
>
> Security settings are not relevant to NTP. Those are things you need
> to deal with separately. Those are operator errors and not NTP errors.
[]
> Danny

Thanks for your comments, Danny.  Perhaps, if 16-bit Windows is no longer
supported for bug reports, the relevant entires should be removed from the
drop-down list?

Security settings on directories have stopped NTP working for me in the
past under Windows XP, so I would argue they do matter, and that reporting
which version of 32-bit Windows is in use matters.  For example, with
Windows Vista significant restrictions now enforced about programs writing
any files in the C:\Program Files\ tree.

Cheers,
David