[ntp:questions] OT: Solaris help - TOD service

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 06:40:12 UTC 2008

Folks, I appreciate this is off-topic (although time-related), but the
following statement has been made about the loss of a TOD service in a
cable modem environment:

Have dug around and spoke to a couple of people who deal with the head end
side of things. The TOD ran on the dhcp servers and the modems were
configured to get there TOD from them. I believe it was turned off. It
runs as a service under inetd on Solaris and inetd was switched off as a
security measure. Due to it being used to give the modem time of day for
config files, They will not switch it back on again.

I have no experience of Solaris, but wouldn't turning off inetd prevent
any network connectivity, and stop DHCP being served?  Can anyone shed
light whether the statement contains some grain of truth or not?

Thanks,
David