[ntp:questions] poll interval - RFC compliance question

Anton Persson A anton.a.persson at ericsson.com
Thu Jun 12 09:09:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

we are using the ntp v3 protocol, as defined in RFC1305, however
I have a question running through my head when I consider the poll
interval.

According to RFC 4330: (yes I know, SNTP v4)
A client SHOULD increase the poll interval using exponential
       backoff as performance permits and especially if the server does
       not respond within a reasonable time.

Is this requirement also valid for ntp v3, I can't quite find it
but I'm unsure? The reason I'm asking is that we have quite
a blood thirsty testing squad here and I need to clarify
if this is a compliance requirement or not.

If it is I have other questions too; we have configured
our machine like this:

server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
server 192.168.0.207 version 3

* Should the poll interval not be, by default, 64 to 1024?
* If so, why does the "poll" value not increase when we yank
  the connection to the server configured? (using ntpq peers)

  The best regards,
     Anton Persson