[ntp:questions] Where is the log file?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 08:18:13 UTC 2008

Alan wrote:
>   I install ntp, choosing a public time server, and got an error
> trying to start the service.  It says to check the "event log".  I am
> running under Windows Vista.
>
>         Where do I find this log?
>
>     Could not readily find this information on this newsgroup or on
> the ntp.org web site.  I figure it has to be there, somewhere, but I
> had no luck finding this information.
>
>              Thanks, Alan

Alan,

The Event Log is a standard Windows function, so you should refer to your
Windows documentation for help.  Under Windows Vista Ultimate, use the
Start button, Administrative tools, Event Viewer option.  Note that your
installation may have installed the Administrative tools under the Control
Panel.  Answer Continue to the UAC dialog.  Select Windows logs,
Application to see any messages from NTP.  You can use the filter
functions of the Event Viewer to show just NTP if you wish.  The Help,
Search, Filter has an entry describing how to do this.

I hope that helps.

As with a lot of software which may write to its own directory, I have
followed the practice of installing the software outside the C:\Program
Files\ tree, as Vista protects that folder tree against users writing
there.  I installed NTP in C:\Tools\NTP\ instead.  It is quite possible
that your System Error 5 is caused by an inappropriate installation
directory choice.

Cheers,
David