[ntp:questions] poll interval - RFC compliance question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 08:26:23 UTC 2008

Harlan Stenn wrote:
[]
> David, you participate here a fair amount.  Are you satisfied with the
> "state" of NTP?  Is this involvement of yours (just) a personal
> choice or do you have other reasons for being interested in NTP?
>
> If it's more than a personal project for you, what are *you* doing to
> help the project flourish?

Harlan,

Thanks for your clarification of the "NTP Forum" status.  As a private
individual, I cannot afford corporate membership level fees.

I am simply interested in helping people deploy NTP on client systems as
widely as possible, as I feel that good timekeeping is beneficial to us
all (when diagnosing fault chains, for example).  I have no business or
commercial interest in NTP.

Despite that, I have spent some time trying to get NTP compiled on
Windows, so that I could contribute more and, for example, perhaps
experiment with some of the problems I see on Windows Vista.  However,
despite the best efforts of people here to help, I have not been able to
get the software to compile, so my ability to help in that way has been
curtailed.

I have also reported bugs, tried to add to the Wiki, and put up Web pages
about my experiences with NTP including making a simple GPS-based NTP
stratum one server.

I hope these "help the project flourish".

David