[ntp:questions] poll interval - Clarification! - RFC compliance question

Anton Persson A anton.a.persson at ericsson.com
Mon Jun 16 07:07:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

I want to clarify one important issue since this discussion took a
completely different turn that the technical one I was looking for.

We are NOT implementing the NTP protocol, we are using the reference
implementation straight out of <unnamed commercial embedded Linux
distribution>. I thought that was clear from the syntax of
my configuration and the fact that we use ntpq/ntpdc... ;-)

The question I had was, in other words, should I expect the poll
interval reported by ntpq to increase when using ntpd 4.2.4? And,
if it is to be expected, how fast should it increase? (This is
in the case when ntpd is in synchronization with a server and
the communication breaks down, the server is "down".) (The
reason I named NTP v3 is that we have configured the daemon
to use NTP v3 explicitly..)

I just want to say that I don't mind the license discussion, it's
an important subject to discuss. However; I'm biased and I really
prefer the GPL.. ;-)

    Best regards, Anton