[ntp:questions] Where is the log file?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 06:26:22 UTC 2008

Alan wrote:
>  The Windows Event log shows an error, "Unable to initialize .rnd
> file":
>
> Log Name:      Application
> Source:        NTP
> Date:          6/17/2008 7:57:31 PM
> Event ID:      1
> Task Category: None
> Level:         Error
> Unable to initialize .rnd file
>
>           Anybody know what this means on Vista?    Thanks, Alan

Alan,

I'm not sure about this, but I think the SSL package used in NTP tries to
write a random number file to the root directory of the hard disk, and
most likely Windows Vista in not allowing access.  I don't /think/ that
this would affect normal operation of NTP, unless you are using security
functions (I'm sure other will correct me).  I have commented on this bad
behaviour before, but I don't know if it can or will be fixed.

Checking on my own Vista system, I do see a file "C:\.rnd", which was
created on 2007 Nov 23, probably about the first time NTP was run on that
system.  It shows as:

Created: 23-Nov-2007 22:47
Modified: 22-Oct-2007 06:04 (UTC)
Accessed: 23-Nov-2007 22:47

The owner is the Administrators group, and it is set for the Users group
to have full control.  It's possible that I made that change myself, but I
can't be sure.  Checking further, I see the same errors on my system, but
they are all from lat year, suggesting that I did change permissions on
that file.  It's not impossible that I even copied that file from the XP
system to the Vista system.

On my XP system, I also have a C:\.rnd file:

Created: 22-Oct-2007 07:04
Modified: 22-Oct-2007 07:04 (UTC + 1)
Accessed: 18-Jun-2008 06:48 (about 30 minutes ago)

So it would appear that the file /is/ being accessed on the XP system, but
not on the Vista system.  Although I can't see how, I wonder if this
accounts for the poor timekeeping I am seeing on Vista?

Sorry for the slightly lengthy reply, but I don't think I've found many
others running NTP on Vista.

Cheers,
David