[ntp:questions] Where is the log file?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Wed Jun 18 07:44:21 UTC 2008

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
message news:iU16k.11391$E41.7688 at text.news.virginmedia.com...
> Alan wrote:

>>  The Windows Event log shows an error, "Unable to initialize .rnd
>> file":
[...]
> I'm not sure about this, but I think the SSL package used in NTP tries
> to write a random number file to the root directory of the hard disk,
> and most likely Windows Vista in not allowing access. ...

I think that's exactly it. The location defaults to c:\ on Windows,
which is a staggeringly bad default in my opinion, but at least it is
configurable through an environment variable. On this machine, I have
this:

randfile=%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\.rnd

which makes it use the same filename but in the Windows equivalent of
Unix's /etc directory, mostly because ntp.conf lives there, too.

A temp directory might be a better place and note that they might have
deduced that from an environment variable as well. Something under an
equivalent of the /var directory might be better still but I'm not sure
what that would be. All Users/Application Data perhaps?

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink