[ntp:questions] poll interval - Clarification! - RFC compliancequestion

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 17:00:49 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-06-17, Anton Persson A <anton.a.persson at ericsson.com> wrote:
>
>> The poll interval is 64 to 1024, seconds. ntpd starts up, locks on
>> target, stays synchronized for a while, then we pull the plug.
>
> What are you trying to prove by "pulling the plug"?
>
>> The poll interval is at this time still 64 seconds, how long should it
>> take to step up the interval to 128 seconds for a completely failed
>> link?
>
> Why would you expect the poll interval to change if ntpd is not
> receiving replies to polls?

I think he may be talking about the "exponential backoff" required by
the RFCs when a server is not responding.   Don't know just how that was
implemented but that may happen only when initializing an association.
This was a change made a couple of years ago in response to the Netgear
and DLink debacles.