[ntp:questions] poll interval - Clarification! - RFC compliancequestion

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Jun 18 17:11:54 UTC 2008

>>> In article <39EA5C210755754BB6F997B693820C2201B44C5E at esealmw121.eemea.ericsson.se>, anton.a.persson at ericsson.com (Anton Persson A) writes:

Anton> We have, however, in the /etc/ntp.conf file explicitly stated that
Anton> the daemon should communicate using NTP v3. What this means is that
Anton> ntpd says, to to the server it is synching with, that it uses NTP v3
Anton> (even though it is capable of v4.)  I have no idea how this affects
Anton> the different state machines running inside the ntpd, just that the
Anton> packet it sends out on the network state v3 instead of the default
Anton> v4. The reasons for this is requirements from a legacy project which
Anton> we are communicating with..

You should not need to do this.

When two NTP procecess 'communicate', they each offer the 'highest' version
they know how to speak and then continue the association at the lower
version.

Something like:

v4: I can talk ntpv4
v3: I can talk ntpv3