[ntp:questions] Kiss-O'-Death

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jun 26 11:12:18 UTC 2008

Bob,

Bob wrote:
> How exactly do you configure NTP to send a KOD? I'm running Meinberg's
> port under Win XP. I'm a sever in the pool. I've got two remote clients
> that are querying at a rate of several times a minute. Sometimes their
> queries are spaced wider, but sometimes they hit me spaced at only a few
> seconds apart.

I don't know exactly how often or how long this happens. However, please
take into account that clients may send requests at 2 second intervals at
startup, if the iburst keyword has been used.

Also, there may be several clients behind a NAT router, in which case all
the requests from those clients seem to be coming from a single host with a
given IP where in fact there are several hosts which are using individual
private IPs behind the router.

Depending on how many clients are currently up and running behind the router
you may see a more or less high number of requests which seem to come from
a single host.

Did you also check the source port number of the request packets? The
numbers should vary if the requests have been sent from several clients
behind a router. They may or may not vary if they come from a single
client. I think the conclusion that there is only one "bad boy" can only be
made if the source port of the request is the same.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren