[ntp:questions] Interface IP address Change.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jun 30 06:36:09 UTC 2008

kiran shirol wrote:

> Instead of using a polling approach, would it not be better we use a
> notification model, where in whenever there

There is no direct event interface, because, when Berkeley sockets were
designed, interface addresses were fixed at system startup.  TCP was
designed for peer operation, which requires stable addresses, and DNS
was designed for very slow changes.

What you are being told is that, on some operating systems, there is an
event interface for routing, which is dynamic, which provides enough
information to infer an interface address change.