[ntp:questions] Time reset

Venu Gopal neo.venu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 08:19:37 UTC 2008

Hi Harlan,

After going through the system logs it is found that approximately
at the time when reset occurred (2-3 few minutes back) crond started
its weekly routines. To make sure I ran "run-parts /etc/cron.weekly" and
found that the system time went off by 2 secs then to 4 secs.

So its true that when CPU load is high, kernel might be loosing ticks.
When I repeated the same in other clients the drift was in the order of
few milliseconds. I suppose it has something to do with the amount
of CPU load and disk I/O when crond performs its tasks.

Venu