[ntp:questions] pool configuration directive on Windows

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Mar 5 08:48:58 UTC 2008

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Mar 4, 10:29 am, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
> wrote:
>> The keyword "pool" has been introduced in the development branch of NTP
>> (ntp-dev, v4.2.5), so it is not supported in ntpd v4.2.4p4 which is the
>> current "stable" version.
>
> Ahh... it is on Dave's udel documentation page, so I figred this
> feature was "released". While it is not practical to go back in
> history, it might be nice to have footnotes that relate specific
> functionailty changes to specific versions in the documentation.
>
> The page I am talking about is
> http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/manyopt.html. A footnote that says
> "introduced in version 4.2.5" for the pool scheme would be helpful. I
> guess you can comb the release notes, but working backwards that way is
> much more difficult for the end user.

I absolutely agree.

The online docs are often quoted here in the NG, and sometimes certain
features which have just been added a few ntp-dev versions ago are referred
to in a way as if they had always been in the code, though they are not
even in the current stable release. For example see the recent discussion
about the handling of leap seconds.

I'd really love to see some notes in the docs in which version certain
features have been introduced, obsoleted, or even the effect has been
inverted (e.g. the "restrict" keyword).

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki