[ntp:questions] Too much offset from GPS?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Mar 7 14:52:19 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-07, Hal Murray wrote:

>ATTRIBUTION MISSING wrote:
>
>>I have problem with my stratum1 box. My box include: freebsd
>>5.2-RELEASE without PPS , ntp-4.2.0_1, Intel Pentium III, 40 G IDE,
>>Germin GPSmap60 , connect with serial com. In GPSmap60 set as NMEA.
>>Freebsd box can get NMEA input string. My configuration of ntp.conf
>>like this:
>>
>>server 127.127.20.0 mode 1 prefer minpoll 4
>>server  127.127.1.0 minpoll 5
>
> Most NMEA devices (or at least all the ones I've worked with)
> send their text with a significant offset.

It gets even better ... NMEA sentences are output by the GPS device
when it is not busy. This means that there is no fixed relationship
between the top of the second and the NMEA sentence. And there will be
significant jitter.

Perhaps that doesn't matter in your application.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>