[ntp:questions] Default config on Ubuntu doesn't work as client

Nero Imhard nim at pipe.nl
Mon Mar 10 07:20:41 UTC 2008

Michael B Allen schreef:

> When installing an NTPD package on Linux would you expect it to work
> by default or must one always be expected to modify the config?

Some hints:

- Have you checked ntpd's logging? What interfaces is it using?
- If you stop and start ntpd, does it work then?
- Do you have the network-manager package installed?

I had the same symptoms as you describe. It turned out that, if you use
network-manager, Ubuntu does not have any network interfaces configured
at the time it starts ntpd, which is a major SNAFU.