[ntp:questions] Default config on Ubuntu doesn't work as client

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Mar 10 09:08:38 UTC 2008

Michael B Allen wrote:

> When installing an NTPD package on Linux would you expect it to work
> by default or must one always be expected to modify the config?

I would not expect the config to have appropriate servers, so one would
always have to modify it.  Including a valid server is likely to result
in most people using it, which is good for neither them nor the server.

> The default config is inlined below. The only thing I changed was
> 'server 192.168.2.15' which is the time server (which I know works).

This is Ubuntu's default, not THE default.  You need to take this up
with Ubuntu.

Note, whilst I thought it was the restricts, at first, however, I think
they are actually OK.

PS, The standard diagnostics are the result of running the peers and rv
subcommands of ntpq, preferably with rv's for the servers, for which you
may need assoc, to get the reference number.