[ntp:questions] Default config on Ubuntu doesn't work as client

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Mar 10 12:08:53 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-10, Michael B Allen <miallen at ioplex.com> wrote:
> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>
>> Michael B Allen <miallen at ioplex.com> writes:
>>
>> The default config is inlined below. The only thing I changed was
>> server 192.168.2.15' which is the time server (which I know
>> works).
>>
>> I think you need a "restrict" line for 192.168.2.15 .
>>
>> See http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions .
>
> Adding 'restrict 192.168.2.15' had no effect after 5 minutes and counting.

That's because there was nothing in your restrict lines blocking time
service. If you want to know more about how the restrict lines work
please take the time to read Support.AccessRestrictions.

> Below is a request and response if that helps in the diagnosis.

The output of 'ntpq -pcrv' is what we need to see.

BTW: You should append 'iburst' to your server lines to speed up initial sync
from a bit over 5 minutes to a bit less than 20 seconds (assuming no other
issues exist).

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>