[ntp:questions] symmetricom / BC635 openBSD (or freeBSD) driver

Andy Helten andy.helten at dot21rts.com
Mon Mar 10 15:51:40 UTC 2008

agallo wrote:
> I have a bc635 gps card that I would like to use to donate NTP
> services to pool.ntp.org.
>
> I have downloaded the freeBSD driver and attempted to compile with the
> driver with the following results:
> btfp.h:424:5: warning: "OPSYS" is not defined
> btfp.h:424:12: warning: "FreeBSD" is not defined
> btfp.c: In function 'btfp_attach':
> btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 4 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
> incompatible pointer type
> btfp.c:203: warning: passing argument 5 of 'bus_setup_intr' from
> incompatible pointer type
> btfp.c:203: error: too few arguments to function 'bus_setup_intr'
> *** Error code 1
>

> Ideally, I would like this running on an openBSD machine.  If someone
> has the compiled drivers for either OS, please let me know, and I'll
> try to get a stratum one / GPS machine in the pool.
>
> Thanks.

I am not familiar with the freeBSD driver, but we purchased the Linux
driver from Symmetricom, I believe for around $250.  I do not know
whether Symmetricom offers OpenBSD/FreeBSD driver, but you could
certainly ask.  That said, the "driver" really only needs to read two
32bit registers to retrieve time (i.e. implement the bcReadBinTime()
call).  It would be very easy to write such a driver if you cannot get
the freeBSD driver to work.

Andy