[ntp:questions] May sound like a newbe question, but....

Andy Helten andy.helten at dot21rts.com
Mon Mar 10 16:52:33 UTC 2008

Vifkov wrote:
> May sound like a newbe question, but am I wrong or earlier Windows
> clients were syncing with NTP ?
>
> The problem is simple: A big building, about 350-400 Windows XP PCs,
> and 2 Linux servers not only for NTP, but for it too... Now today, on
> my laptop I had to edit the registry of the XP, so it could sync with
> the NTP. Does some one have an idea, how to skip the registry editing,
> and may be edit the servers configuration ... So I will not have to go
> to every PC and start the reg file I made ...
>
> Please if someone know how to make the damn Windows sync with the
> NTPs, it would be great.. :)

Do you have a domain configured using Windows Server 2003?  If so, NTP
can be enabled on all machines in the domain, by only changing settings
on the Server 2003 machine.  I help setup a small school (~60 machines)
to do this and it appeared to work.  I will say I never took the time to
find out how well it worked or whether it is still working today.  But
when that was setup I know for certain the three or four machines I
checked did sync up with the Server 2003 machine (or synced with the
public NTP servers we used, not sure which).

Of course if you don't already have a Server 2003 machine, this requires
learning about Server 2003.  Still, it is an option and, with 350-400
machines, it would probably be worthwhile.

Andy