[ntp:questions] [SOLVED] Default config on Ubuntu doesn't work as client

Michael B Allen miallen at ioplex.com
Tue Mar 11 02:16:21 UTC 2008

The following config works:

  driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
  server 192.168.2.15 iburst

The clock was sync'd in a matter of seconds.

I kinda figured it would work since I have other servers that use it
and I've asked about this on this list before and was told that the
above was the minimum client config. I was just intrigued that Ubuntu
could ship with a default config that didn't actually work and wanted to
see if someone could pinpoint why. I have a feeling there are a lot of
Ubuntu users out there who think their clocks are syncing when in fact
they're not.

Thanks for the entertainment,
Mike