[ntp:questions] 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Tue Mar 11 09:10:11 UTC 2008

"Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:slrnftb2eh.cjq.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net...
> John Johnson wrote:
[...]
>> Now, is what I am trying to do feasible?
>
> No.
>
> One ntpd is all you need.

I think you must be using a different definition of the word 'feasible'
from everybody else.

As a software guy, I've wondered before about the monolithic nature of
the NTP package. Splitting it into a client and server part might make
some people (think OpenBSD) very happy. The objection when raised earlier
was that the server may be asked for statistics about things that happen
in the client; ISTM this could be solved.

Also, the much-sought feature of re-resolving dried up associations could
be done from a cron job with ntpq/ntpdc. Determining for certain what
configuration to use might be a problem.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink