[ntp:questions] 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Tue Mar 11 22:35:02 UTC 2008

"David Woolley" <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:47d70081$0$510$5a6aecb4 at news.aaisp.net.uk...
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:

<separating NTP client and server parts>

>> [...] The server part would
>> assume or require that the clock is being disciplined by a client
>> implementation.
>
> It needs to share rather more than the clock.  Things like:
>
> stratum
> root distance
> root dispersion
> system peer
> local reference time
> leap bits
> etc.

Yes. Those are all client-part statistics that could easily be made
available to a server-part for dishing out to anyone interested in
evaluating the status and quality indicators of your server. As part
of _requiring_ that the clock be disciplined by an NTP client part.
You're not going to trust that; you're going to check it.

Of course there is overhead in having the server part query for
the client part's statistics, and transferring them. That's not
the point. Nor do I have any illusions about any of this ever
happening.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink