[ntp:questions] drift value very large and very unstable

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Tue Mar 11 22:38:22 UTC 2008

"David Woolley" <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:47d7013c$0$510$5a6aecb4 at news.aaisp.net.uk...
> Danny Mayer wrote:

>> We supply neither an ntp.conf file nor a startup file so this comment
>> makes no sense. This kind of thing belongs in the Support wiki which
>> is constantly updated.
>
> You need to supply both.  Otherwise the packagers will do it for you
> and they will get it wrong.

ISTM there are two things that would go into a default ntp.conf to be
supplied by the current NTP developer effort: servers, and a drift file.

For the drift file, I suspect the Filesystem Standard (whatever it's
called these days) defines some place where it might usefully be put.

For the servers, we have the Pool. We still _want_ that to be used,
right?

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink