[ntp:questions] drift value very large and very unstable

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Mar 12 15:45:07 UTC 2008

> From: David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid>
> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:11:23 +0000
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>

> Unruh wrote:
>
> > that is why there is a proposed file system standard.
> > Log files in /var/log/ntp say.
> > Drift file in /etc/ntp.drift
> > config file in /etc/ntp.conf
> >

> I think they were referring to the Linux filesystem standard, and one of
> the things that does is to move things out of /etc.  In particular,
> /etc/ntp.drift would never be allowed, because the file is updated
> dynamically.
>
> Incidentally, a specimen configuration needn't include real server names.

Many systems mount root read-only for security reasons (and /etc is in
the root partition. As a result, most systems all files that need
dynamic writes (like the drift file) to an appropriate place in /var.

In the case of FreeBSD, this is done by running ntpd with the command
line options of "-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntpd.drift". No ntp
configuration file is distributed with the system, but the drift file is
moved to a much better location.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)