[ntp:questions] drift value very large and very unstable

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 12 13:21:29 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> Unruh wrote:
>
>> that is why there is a proposed file system standard. Log files in
>> /var/log/ntp say.
>> Drift file in /etc/ntp.drift
>> config file in /etc/ntp.conf
>>

> I think they were referring to the Linux filesystem standard, and one of
> the things that does is to move things out of /etc.  In particular,
> /etc/ntp.drift would never be allowed, because the file is updated
> dynamically.
>
> Incidentally, a specimen configuration needn't include real server names.

It almost certainly SHOULD NOT contain real server names.  At least a
specimen provided by the NTP group should not.  A specimen provided by
an O/S vendor could properly include servers owned and operated by that
vendor as RedHat does.

If I were to write a sample ntp.conf it might look like this:

#
# NTP monitoring parameters
#
logfile /var/ntp/ntp.log
statsdir /var/ntp/ntpstats/
driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
statistics peerstats clockstats
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
# Hardware Reference Clock
server 127.127.3.0 prefer       # PST/Traconex 1020/1030 (Type 3 Unit 0)
# Network servers
server 192.168.1.20 iburst      # Our local GPS server
server 10.1.1.103		# RFC-1918 address to fill out example
server 10.2.2.104		# Another RFC-1918 address. . . .
#
# Authentication parameters
#
keys /etc/inet/ntp.keys
trustedkey      2 3 4
controlkey 3            # To access the ntpq utility
requestkey 2            # To access the ntpdc utility

I might include more comments pointing out what the user needs to
customize and a link to the ntp documentation.