[ntp:questions] 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 14 03:11:59 UTC 2008

Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> As a software guy, I've wondered before about the monolithic nature of
> the NTP package. Splitting it into a client and server part might make
> some people (think OpenBSD) very happy. The objection when raised earlier
> was that the server may be asked for statistics about things that happen
> in the client; ISTM this could be solved.

Maarten, NTP is unusual in that it does not lend itself to separation of
client from server. This is not about statistics but about the nature of
how it operates and is used. I know of no other client/server software
that could not be separated, the nearest being a proxy server.

> Also, the much-sought feature of re-resolving dried up associations could
> be done from a cron job with ntpq/ntpdc. Determining for certain what
> configuration to use might be a problem.

I'll be working on it. I just need to get other things done too.

Danny