[ntp:questions] 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Mar 14 08:44:35 UTC 2008

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:47D9ECFF.6030201 at ntp.isc.org...
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>> As a software guy, I've wondered before about the monolithic nature
>> of the NTP package. Splitting it into a client and server part ...

> Maarten, NTP is unusual in that it does not lend itself to separation
> of client from server. This is not about statistics but about the
> nature of how it operates and is used. ...

Could you say more about that? I realise that it's not as clean cut as
the division between an FTP client and server, and that NTP may be
better served by a model like for example the server always requiring
some interchangeable client module(s?) being plugged into it (whether
network associations or hardware reference clocks, as mentioned).

The client part might operate without a server, or perhaps a downgraded
server that does not serve time but only offers status monitoring.

There are several different useage scenarios for NTP. Someone with a
web server farm might be interested in a client that keeps his servers
on time, but lets them be web servers, not time servers.

I realise that there is a mechanism to do this. I realise that I'm
speaking from the sideline. I'm just pointing out that everybody gets
all the code, all the time, and then has to restrict out the bits they
don't want. It seems like a somewhat unstructured way to build a big
system to me.

>> Also, the much-sought feature of re-resolving dried up associations
>> could be done from a cron job with ntpq/ntpdc. Determining for certain
>> what configuration to use might be a problem.
>
> I'll be working on it. I just need to get other things done too.

I'm sure we all do appreciate that. (-:

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink