[ntp:questions] 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Mar 14 13:58:32 UTC 2008

"Unruh" <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:7nuCj.88488$w57.1957 at edtnps90...
> "Maarten Wiltink" <maarten at kittensandcats.net> writes:
[...]
>> The client part might operate without a server, or perhaps a downgraded
>> server that does not serve time but only offers status monitoring.
>
> Sure, but the server cannot operate without the client. YOu can
> certainly write an SNTP client, which is never a server. But servers
> need the full client functionality.

Some implementation of it, anyway. And a full NTP client can exist without
a full server around it. At which point the code sculptor in me starts
envisioning separate modules and clearly defined interfaces and pretty
interlocking and interchangeable parts.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink