[ntp:questions] drift value very large and very unstable

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Sat Mar 15 15:29:59 UTC 2008

Hello Maarten,

 On Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 23:38:22 +0100, Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> For the drift file, I suspect the Filesystem Standard (whatever it's
> called these days) defines some place where it might usefully be put.

The FHS 2.3 doesn't define explicitly a place for the ntp driftfile.
However its rules about variable non-shareable host-specific and
application-specific state informations lead directly to /var/lib/ntp/

| /var/lib : Variable state information
|
| This hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an application or
| the system. State information is data that programs modify while they
| run, and that pertains to one specific host. Users must never need to
| modify files in /var/lib to configure a package's operation.
|
| State information is generally used to preserve the condition of an
| application (or a group of inter-related applications) between
| invocations and between different instances of the same application.
| State information should generally remain valid after a reboot, should
| not be logging output, and should not be spooled data.
|
| An application (or a group of inter-related applications) must use a
| subdirectory of /var/lib for its data.
[...big snip...]
| An important difference between this version of this standard and
| previous ones is that applications are now required to use a
| subdirectory of /var/lib.

Serge.