[ntp:questions] ntpq reports different polling intervall than the sniffed UDP packet

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Mar 20 13:09:38 UTC 2008

Toralf Förster wrote:

> +81.169.180.26   192.53.103.104   2 u    4  128  377   31.092   -1.381   1.
> 082
>
> whereas the field "peer polling intervall" of the sniffed network stream sh
> ows a value of 8 (=56 sec)
> for all packets except packet 3 and 4.

Your Usenet client (combination of your email program and the list to
Usenet gateway) has broken MIME quoted-printable handling, with the
result that I see <equals>56, rather than <equals>256, although the
exact behaviour is error recovery dependent.

You haven't included the trace, so I don't know what you mean by packets
3 and 4.  If you included these as an attachment, please note that the
mailing list is not the real forum, it is just a convenience for
accessing the newsgroup comp.protocols.time.ntp, which is a non-binaries
group, so should not have attachments (and any may well have been
stripped by the gateway as a result).