[ntp:questions] SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Mar 22 19:23:16 UTC 2008

>>> In article <47E51FF4.8030708 at comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

Richard> Danny Mayer wrote:

Harlan> The problem is one might want to *know* that the SNTP server is
Harlan> actually talking to a refclock, or more generally, that the SNTP
Harlan> "instance" is playing by the rules.

Danny> There is no way to ensure that. Furthermore there is nothing in the
Danny> protocol which allows you to differentiate between the two. This is
Danny> really a non-starter.

What is the "non-starter" Danny?

Richard> I can't say it's worth doing but you could always add some sort of
Richard> a tag to the NTP packet that says "I am an NTP server" or "I am an
Richard> SNTP Server with a reference clock" or "I am an SNTP leaf node and
Richard> I'm not supposed to talk to you"

It's already been done.  It's called the NTP RFC.  The "stratum" tells you
this.

What difference does it make if somebody blows the stratum code v. somebody
blows the code to say "believe me when I tell you that I am an NTP server"?
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!