[ntp:questions] SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Mar 23 02:26:44 UTC 2008

Noob wrote:
> Unruh wrote:
>
>> SNTP is a client protocol, not a server, according to RFC.
>
> You keep saying that. Which RFC are you referring to?

SNTP is defined in the NTPv4 draft in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-09.txt in
section 14. You can also look at RFC 4330 but that's about to be
obsoleted by the NTPv4 draft. SNTP is *not* a client protocol.

>> We have absolutely no idea what you are running on all your machines. You
>> never told us. This was an assumption based on the weird conditions you
>> stated. It really really helps if you give information when you ask for
>> help so that the help may actually be helpful. Tell us what your system is,
>> what "SNTP program" you are using as the server, what the other client
>> machines on the lan are running.
>
> The only client is an x86 PC running Linux 2.6.22.1-rt9 (i.e. with
> real-time extensions) and ntpd 4.2.4p0 at 1.1472.
>
> The server is an embedded device (HEOL-T101) with a GPS receiver and a
> Fast Ethernet port. I have no idea what operating system runs on the
> device; there might not even be an OS. The manufacturer claims the
> device implements SNTPv4 instead of the full NTP.
>
> ( http://www.heoldesign.com/index.php?id=58 )

Since it hads a GPS receiver in it, it only needs the SNTP part of the
spec and be an SNTP server. See the NTPv4 draft.

Danny