[ntp:questions] minpoll 3

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Mar 23 20:07:33 UTC 2008

Serge,

I checked to verify the version claimed for the current snapshot on
www.ntp.org matches the development version here, but that's no
guarrantee that some recent stuff since the shot was stamped on 8
Februrary. Fine tuning of the KoD response as I described in the report
www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/upgrade.txt and some other features were added
since the last snapshot.

Your description describes exactly what happens if the minimum average
headway remains at the default 16 s and the client pounds away at 8 s.
You might peek with the ntpdc sysstats command and vet the counters.
Verify no error messages at startup; the configuration code might have
balked when attempting to lower the discard average. Verify with ntpq
that the poll interval in fact starts out at 3. If the client does
indeed start out at 3 and the server rate-limits it, use the restrict
default limited kod command to see if a KoD comes back.

Dave