[ntp:questions] W32time - encrypted request to NTP server?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 24 03:32:00 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-03-23, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Perhaps the OP meant that he would like the client to be able to
>>ascertain that the server really is the server he configured.  Isn't
>>that, after all, the purpose of authentication?
>

> The OP asked about encryption (note the subject of this thread).
>
> authentication != encryption

AS far as I know, the only purpose of encryption in NTP is to
authenticate the server to the client!  This is done by including an
encrypted signature in the packet.  There is nothing "secret" in an NTP
packet that would require encryption for any other purpose.

If he meant something else, he failed to make himself clear!