[ntp:questions] minpoll 3

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Mon Mar 24 15:27:22 UTC 2008

Hello David,

 On Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 20:07:33 +0000, David L. Mills wrote:

> You might peek with the ntpdc sysstats command and vet the counters.
> Verify no error messages at startup; the configuration code might have
> balked when attempting to lower the discard average. Verify with ntpq
> that the poll interval in fact starts out at 3. If the client does
> indeed start out at 3 and the server rate-limits it, use the restrict
> default limited kod command to see if a KoD comes back.

There are no configuration parsing errors: Both "minpoll 3" and
"average 3" are accepted (while "minpoll 2" or "average nan" shout the
expected error).

By default sysstats shows no rate exceeded, with or without "average 3".
Rate exceeded start to appear when adding restrict limited without
"average 3".

With restrict kod on the server, after some time the client logs "no
servers reachable" and doesn't poll anymore (but the refid stays "DCF",
no "RATE" or whatever). No problem with "average 3".

The poll interval indeed starts at 3, and I see a pair of packets in and
out on the wire every 8-10 seconds.

Anyway the kernel clock was never disciplined, even with "average 3" and
no limited/kod restrictions. Thanks Dave, I'll wait for the next
snapshot and retry.

Serge.