[ntp:questions] SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:10:05 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 7:21 am, David Woolley
<da... at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Note that Microsfoft's "SNTP" implementation claims stratum 2, when
> acting as an a server with an illegal time source.

This is not true in Windows 2003 and newer. Considering that Windows
2000 sales ended in 2003, and mainstream support ended in 2005, I
think your statement needs qualification.

Windows Time Service (w32time) is an RFC-1305-compliant NTP (not
SNTP!) implementation, and has been for 5 years or more. It reports
the correct statum, has the clock discipline algorithms, etc. Yes, it
has some limitations (precision is -6), and is easy to mis-configure
(so is ntpd), but it mostly just works. I advise most of my clients to
use it rather than messing with the complexity of ntpd on Windows if
possible.

I know a lot of people hate MSFT, but let's not let that get in the
way of the actual facts. Not everyone can or should run the reference
ntpd implementation. There will always be other commercial and open
source implementations of the NTP and SNTP protocols. This is a very
good thing from a security perspective, and also from a competitive
perspective. Would we have the pool scheme in the development versions
of ntpd now if OpenNTPD hadn't implemented it first?