[ntp:questions] SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:29:52 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 9:47 am, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:

> What _version_ of w32time is RFC-1305 compliant?

Microsoft's documentation indicates that all versions of w32time in
Windows 2003 are RFC-1305 compliant. I know from testing that the
versions in Windows 2003 SP1 (releleased March 30 2005) and later are
RFC-1305 compliant when configured properly. I did not test the RTM
version of Windows 2003.

> > Would we have the pool scheme in the development versions of ntpd now
> > if OpenNTPD hadn't implemented it first?
> Really? They did?

Yes, they did, back in 2004. See the "servers" keyword:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ntpd.conf&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+3.6&arch=i386&format=html

> Are you sure that the person who wrote the pool configuration directive
> code for the Reference Implementation of NTP pays any attention to
> OpenNTPD?

No, I am not sure. But I do recall the OpenNTPD "servers" keyword
being mentioned on the NTP Pool project mailing list long before the
"pool" directive appeared in the development versions NTPD.

Shouldn't any software developer be looking at other solutions in the
same problem space for ideas? Especially in an open souce world?

--
RPM