[ntp:questions] Windows won't Sync to NTP server

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Mar 31 03:03:05 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> lind.fedora at gmail.com wrote:
>> I can't get a Windows Client to sync to my NTP server.  All Linux
>> clients work fine.
>
> You didn't say that you were running a non-NTP compliant version of
> w32time on the Windows system (it's illegally using symmetric active).
>
> It is possible that your version of ntpd does not have the workaround
> for the w32time bug that was extensively discussed last week.  You
> should try setting the options on w32time that causes it to generate
> proper client associations, upgrading to Windows 2003 (which is reported
> to be compliant). Alternatively, you could run the reference ntpd on the
> Windows systems.

ntp 4.2.4p4 does not include that fix nor do any of the tarballs for
ntp-dev yet. That fix is coming. Martin Burnicki or Ryan Malayter
provided instructions on how to get w32time to send client packet
instead of symmetric active packets. The clients are getting synched
because the restrict statement is denying peers.

Danny