[ntp:questions] high precision tracking: trying to understand sudden jumps

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Mar 31 12:57:54 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-03-31, David Woolley <david at djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Bill Unruh wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, starlight at binnacle.cx wrote:
>> You appear to be quoting an off list reply with no indication of
>> permission, although it is just possible that the email gateway
>> forwarded it to email subscribers without forwarding it to the usenet
>> group proper.
>
> What you are suggesting is not possible.
>
> The Usenet news-group is just another subscriber to the questions list.

It's certainly very possible that the missing article was private email
only, although possibly by mistake.  The mailing list doesn't seem to be
a simple subscriber, as an example quoted before showed no sign of
attachments in the usenet version, but the mail archive version that I
was pointed to mentioned that attachments (a PGP signature) had been
suppressed.

I assume you mean the usenet gateway is a subscriber, as usenet groups
can't subscribe to mailing lists on their own.  In that case, it is at
least theoretically possible that the gateway suppresses the message on
the usenet side, but if it is an ordinary subscriber on the mailing list
side, the message will still go to other mailing list subscribers.  One
obvious case in which this would happen is if there was a duplicate
message ID.

I haven't checked the mail archives, but I did check Google groups, and
it hasn't seen the missing message.