[ntp:questions] Power-saving patch to NTP

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sun May 18 17:01:21 UTC 2008

On 2008-05-18, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> writes:

>>Linux presents afaik the biggest userbase for ntp (and is
>>simultanously the most derided group of questioneers in this NG,
>
> I certainly have no idea what you are talking about. What derision?

The Linux kernel maintainer are regularly criticised for making changes
which are hostile to NTP.

Frequent statments have been made that Linux is an inferior plaform for
NTP (e.g. WRT to lost interrrupts, etc.)

>>though i think compared to the installed instances linux is imho
>>underrepresented). If a large group is beat over the head in a
>>somewhat regular fashion ( which may have been just a cats and dogs
>>thing ) it is rather unsurprising to find those people working around
>>this obstacle.
>
> What "beat over the head"? What obstacle?

If a group is frequently criticized, or their requests are dismissed out
of hand they may very well implement their own solutions.

>>Whichever way one does this ntp needs to be able to respond to finer
>>grained external triggers. It can not any longer be "King of the
>>Castle".
>
> No idea what this means either.

"King of the Castle" == the most important code running on the system.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>