[ntp:questions] Power-saving patch to NTP

Nero Imhard nim at pipe.nl
Mon May 19 09:49:44 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke schreef:

> The Linux kernel maintainer are regularly criticised for making
> changes which are hostile to NTP.
>
> Frequent statments have been made that Linux is an inferior plaform
> for NTP (e.g. WRT to lost interrrupts, etc.)

IMHO just a matter of conflicting design goals.

This medal has 2 sides: while it may not make too much sense to use
Linux if you need to build a "proper" ntp server, it's probably also not
a very good idea to use full-blown ntp for keeping the clocks of
workstations, PDA's, embedded devices, etc. within acceptable range.

I think people should avoid "full ntp" as standard, general-purpose
timekeeping solution for every small device on the planet. It is not.