[ntp:questions] Synchronizing NTP in WAN and LAN

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri May 23 16:16:09 UTC 2008

On 2008-05-22, Deepak Pandian <peerlessdeepaks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Only one of my system is connected to the WAN and the other systems in
> the LAN get their time from the NTP server running in the main system.
>
> I have two problems in this setup.

You have a misunderstanding of how NTP works.

> 1.The timeZone is always UTC in the LAN (Isn't it NTP's job to update
> timezone information?? )
>
> 2. When ever the time zone is changed in the main system ,how to
> update it in the systems connected in the LAN.

NTP synchronizes clocks to a common time-base across a network. The most
commonly used time-base is UTC.

Most OS clocks are set to UTC. Display of this time in the correct time
zone is handled by the appropriate userland, or system, utilities. Time
zone changes are handled by the tools included with your OS.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>