[ntp:questions] Speed of ntp convergence

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 20:33:28 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>> preferred algorithm!  Dave designed ntpd to cope with the, usually
>> horrible, behavior of the internet.  This is not necessarily the best
>
> That was the internet of some 20 years ago.

The internet of today is similar.  It may be a little better but I
wouldn't count on it!

Have you ever compared the performance of ntpd, using internet servers,
between 11PM and 7AM local time with the performance during the rest of
the day?  The difference is quite noticeable; the performance from 11PM
to 7AM is clearly better!

The only difference that occurs to me as an explanation is that the
network is noticeably less busy during that period.