[ntp:questions] xntp both serve and client

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Nov 6 04:41:33 UTC 2008

>ntpd needs port 123 UDP open in order to receive the replies to its
>polls, or broadcast packets.

That's the way the current code operates.

If you are running in client only mode, you don't really need
to use port 123 on the local system.  It could use any port number,
but it might take a while to modify the current source code to
do that.

If you are just trying to hide from bad guys, using iptables
or whatever to only allow packets from the selected servers might work.
That gets complicated if you are using the pool.