[ntp:questions] Speed of ntp convergence

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 10:32:40 UTC 2008

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
[]
> As mentioned in another reply, AFAIR older versions of the NTP daemon
> did converge quite a bit faster than recent versions.
[]
>>   version="ntpd 4.2.0-a Sun May  8 06:01:21 UTC 2005 (1)"
>
> Now the question is how a recent version of ntpd would converge on
> this machine.
>
> Martin

An intersting point, Martin.  As it took about 5 hours overnight to
re-compile the kernel on that system, and as I know very little of
FreeBSD, I am unlikely to change it in the near future.  Particularly if
it's worse!

What I would actually like to have is a small PC (perhaps even an adapted
router or something like that) which had a serial port and Ethernet port
so that I could retire the Pentium 133MHz system for good.  Something like
the ASUS displayless EEE box:

  http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=165&l3=0&l4=0&model=2289&modelmenu=1

Cheers,
David