[ntp:questions] Leap Second Handling

PeterInFrankfurt at gmail.com PeterInFrankfurt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 12:48:55 UTC 2008

Can anyone clarify how the leap second is supposed to work?

We have a GPS receiver which, I understand, already receives the leap
second indicator LI and knows the leap second will happen end of 2008
UTC time.

This GPS receiver speaks IRIG-B with IEEE 1344 extensions to our Time
Server. IEEE 1344 definition says the Leap Second Pending is set in
the 59 seconds before the leap second happens.

So our Time Server will know nothing about the leap second until 59s
before the year end. By which time, NTP propagation down through the
stratum hierarchy will fail to notify all NTP clients before the year
end.

In this scenario is it necessary to manually insert the leap second
into the Time Server?

Thanks in advance for any help

Peter