[ntp:questions] NTP installation and configuration on Solaris

Melanie Pfefer melanie_pfefer at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 10:25:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

As you said, Solaris 10 has already ntp installed. I followed your recommendation since you told me that the ntp bundled with Solaris has an old version (how to check ntp version by the way? And are we installing here a NTP server or a NTP client?)

Anyway, I installed ntp-4.2.4p4 (default installation). I also disabled the solaris ntp.

What are the post installation steps? I do not see a configuration file. Should I simply copy /etc/inet/ntp.server to /etc/inet/ntp.conf? Isn’t used only by the native ntp of solaris?
What is the difference between /etc/inet/ntp.server and /etc/inet/ntp.client?
Now I have the same binaries installed under /usr/local/bin and /usr/sbin

which ntpq
/usr/sbin/ntpq

which ntpdate
/usr/sbin/ntpdate

which ntpq
/usr/sbin/ntpq

 which ntptrace
/usr/sbin/ntptrace

Should I simply update PATH variable? Is there any better suggestion?

thank you