[ntp:questions] ntp clients out of sync with server

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Nov 12 22:37:37 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> If you think that it does not work as advertised then please go ahead
> and file a bug report.

Firstly, I'm not sure that it is advertised to work for time islands, or
whether that is just an assumption that has been made by people posting
here.

Secondly, I'm not the person reporting the symptoms that I can only
explain in terms of it being unsuitable for time islands.  I don't
believe the person who did report the problem has good English, so I
doubt they would want to raise a bug report, especially as using the
local clock driver will probably solve their problem.

I would have hoped, if orphan mode really was suitable for time islands,
that two or three people would have been able to tell that person what
they were doing wrong, but there was total silence, in spite of my
prompting a couple of times.

I have to decide whether it is important enough for me to spend the time
  carefully reading the documentation to see how it is supposed to work,
and reading the code to see how it actually works, given that I don't
have an immediate personal need for such a configuration.  I could
conclude that there is a bug; I could conclude that the suitability for
time islands is an urban legend; or I could decide that the reported
symptoms make no sense.

Incidentally, for another package I'm involved with (currently in rather
  more depth than for ntpd) it is considered bad form to report a bug,
unless there is unequivocal evidence, or one has tried to get an
explanation on the support forum first, and the advice there is that it
is a bug.  You seem to be asking for a formal bug report before
configuration or document misreading errors have been excluded.